I am an Assistant Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department and Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto. I joined Univ. of Toronto in January 2013, after I received my Ph.D from the Computer Science Department of University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign under the supervision of a great advisor, Yuanyuan Zhou. From 2009 to 2012 I was also a visiting student in the awesome System and Networking group of University of California, San Diego. I received my B.E. from Beihang University. My CV is here.
(New) I am looking for self motivated students to work with me. If you are interested, please submit your application here.
My research interest is software systems and operating systems, with a focus on developing practical solutions to improve the availability and performance of large software systems.
- Hacker News , ,
- Discussions from HBase developers, which prompted a series of reactions to address the problems we mentioned in the paper.
- Twitter discussions: see this, this, and this (if you're looking for a screenshot that summarizes our paper, see this or this).
- Blog: neverworkintheory.org, Another word for it, Metadata, Fifty Quick Ideas to Improve Your Tests, Postmortem lessons, Agilezilla, Some discussions on Google+.
- And quite a few emails sent to us from developers...
lprof: A Non-intrusive Request Flow Profiler for Distributed Systems
Proceedings of the 11th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’14), October 2014, Broomfield, CO. *: Equally contributed.
Simple Testing Can Prevent Most Critical Failures: An Analysis of Production Failures in Distributed Data-intensive Systems
Proceedings of the 11th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’14), October 2014, Broomfield, CO
- Do Not Blame Users for Misconfigurations Proceedings of the 24th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP’13), November 2013.
- Be Conservative: Enhancing Failure Diagnosis with Proactive Logging Proceedings of the 9th ACM/USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’12), Hollywood, CA, October 2012
Full publication list
It is fun to work with the following incredible people:
- Adrian Chiu
- Muhammad FaizanUllah (Undergraduate thesis) -> Microsoft
- Neil Newman (Undergraduate thesis) -> graduate school@UBC
- Alan Chung (Undergraduate thesis)
- Program committee, ASPLOS 2016: Twenty First International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems
- Program committee, 2015 USENIX Annual Technical Conference
- External review committee, 11th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’14)
- Program committee, 2014 USENIX Annual Technical Conference
- Program committee, ACM SIGMETRICS 2014
- Program committee, 11th International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC 2014)
- Panelist, 27th IEEE Annual Computer Communications Workshop (CCW) 2013
- Keynote speaker, 2012 Workshop on Managing Systems Automatically and Dynamically
- Program committee, 2012 Workshop on Managing Systems Automatically and Dynamically
I do a lot of sports, including basketball, swimming (pool and open water), skiing, and running. I served as captain of the Beihang's CSE basketball team and co-captain of the UIUC CS faculty & grad-student basketball team in the intramural games. I also ran some marathon and half-marathons (see a recent photo here). When I have more time, I also play accordion.