I am an Assistant Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Toronto. I joined the department in January 2013, after I received my Ph.D from the Computer Science Department of University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign under the supervision of a great advisor, Yuanyuan Zhou. From 2009 to 2012 I was also a visiting student in the awesome System and Networking group of University of California, San Diego. I received my B.E. from Beihang University in July, 2006. My CV is here.
(New) I am looking for self motivated students to work with me. If you are interested, please submit your application here.
My research interest is software systems and operating systems, with a focus on developing practical solutions to improve the reliability and availability of large software systems. My Ph.D. dissertation research focuses on improving the diagnosis of software failures via better design and use of log messages.
lprof: A Non-intrusive Request Flow Profiler for Distributed Systems
To appear in the 11th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’14), October 2014, Broomfield, CO. *: Equally contributed.
Simple Testing Can Prevent Most Critical Failures: An Analysis of Production Failures in Distributed Data-intensive Systems
To appear in the 11th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’14), October 2014, Broomfield, CO
- Do Not Blame Users for Misconfigurations Proceedings of the 24th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP’13), November 2013.
- Be Conservative: Enhancing Failure Diagnosis with Proactive Logging Proceedings of the 9th ACM/USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’12), Hollywood, CA, October 2012
Full publication list
I am fortunate to work with the following incredible students (alphabetical order):
- Muhammad Faizan
- Jack Luo
- External review committee, 11th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’14)
- Program committee, 2014 USENIX Annual Technical Conference
- Program committee, ACM SIGMETRICS 2014
- Program committee, 11th International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC 2014)
- Panelist, 27th IEEE Annual Computer Communications Workshop (CCW) 2013
- Keynote speaker, 2012 Workshop on Managing Systems Automatically and Dynamically
- Program committee, 2012 Workshop on Managing Systems Automatically and Dynamically
I do a lot of sports, including basketball, swimming (pool and open water), skiing, and running. I served as captain of the Beihang's CSE basketball team and co-captain of the UIUC CS faculty & grad-student basketball team in the intramural games. I also ran some marathon and half-marathons (see a recent photo here). When I have more time, I also play accordion.