I am an Assistant Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Toronto. I received my Ph.D from the Computer Science Department of University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in December 2012, under the supervision of a great advisor, Yuanyuan Zhou. From 2009 to 2012 I was also a visiting student in the awesome System and Networking group of University of California, San Diego. I received my B.E. from Beihang University in July, 2006. My CV is here.
(New) I am looking for self motivated students to work with me. If you are interested, please submit your application here.
My research interest is software systems and operating systems, with a focus on developing practical solutions to improve the reliability and availability of large software systems. My Ph.D. dissertation research focuses on improving the diagnosis of software failures via better design and use of log messages.
- Do Not Blame Users for Misconfigurations Proceedings of the 24th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP’13), November 2013.
- Be Conservative: Enhancing Failure Diagnosis with Proactive Logging Proceedings of the 9th ACM/USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’12), Hollywood, CA, October 2012
Improving Software Diagnosability via Log Enhancement
ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS), Februray 2012.
Full publication list
I am fortunate to work with the following incredible students (alphabetical order):
- Yongle Zhang
- Xu Zhao
- Alan Cheung
- Muhammad Faizan
- David Lion
- Jack Luo
- Neil Newman
- Xin Zhuang
I am teaching ECE454 Computer Systems Programming in Fall 2013.
I taught ECE344 Operating System in Winter 2013.
Selected awards and honors
- NetApp Faculty Fellowship, 2013
- University of Toronto Connaught New Researcher Award, 2012
- ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper Award, 2011
- Best paper award nominee and invited publication to ACM Transaction on Computer Systems, ASPLOS 2011
- Best paper award nominee, ASPLOS 2010
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant, Computer Science Department, UIUC, Spring 2008
- Saburo Muroga Fellowship, UIUC
- External review committee, 11th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI’14)
- Program committee, 2014 USENIX Annual Technical Conference
- Program committee, ACM SIGMETRICS 2014
- Program committee, 11th International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC 2014)
- Panelist, 27th IEEE Annual Computer Communications Workshop (CCW) 2013
- Keynote speaker, 2012 Workshop on Managing Systems Automatically and Dynamically
- Program committee, 2012 Workshop on Managing Systems Automatically and Dynamically
I do a lot of sports, including basketball, swimming (pool and open water), skiing, and running. I served as captain of the Beihang's CSE basketball team and co-captain of the UIUC CS faculty & grad-student basketball team in the intramural games. I also ran some marathon and half-marathons (see a recent photo here). When I have more time, I also play accordion.